Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /srv/users/mpsg/apps/manitoba-pulse/public/wp-content/plugins/q-and-a/inc/functions.php on line 252
Created by Chef Paige Gould Putney Inn, Putney, Vermont
3-1/2 cups (1 pound) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (4 ounces) dried cherries
3 tablespoons (1½ ounces) cranberry juice, warm
5 ounces butter, chilled, cut into pieces
2 cups (l pound) sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup cooked Black beans
1 cup cooked Navy beans
1/2 cup (2 ounces) slivered almonds
1. Combine cherries and cranberry juice in small bowl; reserve.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat eggs, egg yolks and vanilla in small bowl until combined; stir in flour mixture.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead gently to make a smooth dough that holds its shape, adding additional flour if necessary. Knead in beans, almonds and reserved cherries.
4. Shape dough on parchment-lined sheet pans into 6 slightly flattened rolls, about 10 x 2 inches. Bake at 350º F. until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
Cool on wire racks.
5. Diagonally slice rolls into 3/4-inch thick slices. Arrange, cut sides down, on parchment-lined sheet pans. Bake at 275º F. until crisp and dry, about 30 minutes, turning once.
Makes 48 biscotti