- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- half a red bell pepper, chopped
- half a green bell pepper, chopped
- half a yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder, depending heat preferences
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 -15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 2 limes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-8 ounces baby spinach
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/3 cup cheddar or feta cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
Cook the quinoa according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, swirl a bit of olive oil in a saute pan. Heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 3-5 minutes, until translucent and tender. Add garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder, cayenne and peppers and saute an additional 2 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in the black beans, tomatoes, and the juice of 1 lime. Stir in quinoa. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill.
Roughly cut baby spinach into strips like you would shred iceberg lettuce for tacos. Remove about 1 cup of cilantro leaves from the bunch, rinse and pat dry, and toss with the spinach. Divide spinach and cilantro mixture evenly among 4 salad plates. Top each plate with a scoop of the quinoa salad. Top each salad with your choice of cheese and diced avocado. Cut the remaining lime into slices to garnish the plates.
Recipe Courtesy of www.goodlifeeats.com