A tasty and satisfying classic from Baba!
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cup (750 mL) green cabbage, shredded
- 3 cup (750 mL) beets, peeled and chopped
- 10 cup (2.5 L) reduced sodium vegetable or beef stock*
- 1-19 oz can (540 mL) navy or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained OR
- 2 cup (500 mL) dry navy or white kidney beans, prepared according to package
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped OR
- 10 dill sprigs, chopped
- *Gluten-free brand required
- Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tbsp (15mL) of oil until golden and soft. Set aside.
- In a big soup pot,sauté carrots,celery and cabbage in remaining oil (30mL) for about 3 minutes.Add beets and stock and cook about 1 hour or until beets are slightly tender.
- Add onions and garlic, beans, tomato juice, lemon juice, pepper and parsley or dill.
- Bring to a boil and serve!
Courtesy of Pulse Canada recipes.