Preparation time: 20 minutes / Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1-7½ oz can (398 mL) tomato sauce
- 1-28 oz can (796 mL) tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (1 mL) Worcestershire sauce*
- 4 cups (1 L) red kidney beans, cooked OR 2-19 oz cans (2-540 mL) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- Pinch salt and pepper
* Gluten-free variety if required
- In skillet, cook ground beef until browned.
- In a medium soup pot, heat oil and saute garlic, onion, green peppers and celery about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef, tomato sauce, tomatoes, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce. Cook 10 minutes on medium heat and add beans.
- Bring to a boil and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy.