- 1 cup (250 mL) dry navy beans, soaked according to package
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 medium Polish sausage, cooked (optional)
- 1-10 oz can (284 mL) tomato juice
- 1-28 oz can (796 mL) tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce*
- 1 tsp (5 mL) instant beef or chicken bouillon granules*
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2 mL) paprika
- ½ cup (125 mL) carrot, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) celery, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) onion, chopped
*Gluten-free brand required if you want this recipe to be gluten-free
1. Boil soaked beans for 10-12 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Skin chicken pieces and set aside. If using sausage, halve it lengthwise and cut into bite size pieces.
3. In a medium bowl, combine beans, tomato juice, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, basil, oregano and paprika.
4. In a 4 quart (3.78 litre) slow cooker combine carrots, celery and onion. Arrange chicken and sausage over vegetables. Pour bean mixture over chicken and sausage.
5. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10-12 hours or on high-heat setting for 6-8 hours. Serve.