- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups sodium-reduced chicken or beef stock
- 1-19 oz can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 cup chopped fresh spinach, packed
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- pepper to taste
Pour canola oil into a large saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes until onion softens.
Stir in barley and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until barley is cooked.
Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through, about 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Manitoba Canola Growers