Manitoba Pulse & Soybean Growers (MPSG) is the non-profit commodity organization representing over 3,800 farmers in Manitoba who grow soybeans, edible beans, peas and faba beans. Research and production are key focus areas that have expanded significantly in the past two years. We are looking for an Agronomy Research Intern to assist with the establishment, maintenance and harvest of field research plots and on-farm trials.
Specific activities will include:
– Assisting with seeding, maintenance and harvesting of research plots
– Data preparation, collection and organization
– Crop monitoring for staging, insects, weeds and diseases
– Preparation for field events
– Field scouting of commercial soybean and pulse crops
– Potential for engagement with farmers and industry stakeholders
The purpose of this position is to help establish MPSG research and gain new knowledge of pulse and soybean agronomy practices in Manitoba. This is a great opportunity for gaining experience in field research and advancing your soybean and pulse crop agronomy knowledge. You will be part of a dynamic research and production team, and will gain knowledge in soybean production and research, and extension initiatives.
– The ideal candidate will be a 2nd, 3rd or 4th year student enrolled in an Agriculture degree or diploma program at a recognized post-secondary institution, preferably in the area of Agronomy or Agro-ecology
– Strong understanding of crop production and agronomy practices
– Farm and machinery experience is not required but would be considered an asset
– Motivated, self-starter with strong organizational skills who can manage multiple tasks
– Key interests should include working in the field and being involved in research activities
– Depending on the experience of the candidate, there is opportunity for more advanced trial management and responsibilities
– Valid Manitoba driver’s license
This is a 4 month summer position that will preferably be based in Carman, MB and will require travel throughout Manitoba. For the right candidate, there is opportunity to be based out of another rural location. This position offers a competitive salary and a vehicle will be provided.
Please email your resume and cover letter to:
Production Specialist, MPSG
Application Deadline: December 11, 2015
For more information about MPSG, please visit www.manitobapulse.ca