Production Specialist – Western Manitoba
Manitoba Pulse & Soybean Growers (MPSG) is the non-for-profit commodity organization representing more than 4,000 farmers in Manitoba who grow and market soybeans, edible beans, field peas, lentils and faba beans. Research and extension account for a majority of MPSG activities. We are seeking a full-time Production Specialist to disseminate research results and provide agronomic support to Manitoba pulse and soybean farmers primarily in the western agricultural region of the province.
Reporting to the Director of Research and Production, the Production Specialist – West will function as a recognized expert in pulse and soybean agronomy, crop health surveillance, production economics and crop variety evaluation as well as in the development and improvement of extension materials and methods. This position plays a lead role within the prairie-wide network of agricultural professionals who help guide the development of sustainable and profitable pulse and soybean production practices.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the development and implementation of extension programs that deliver production knowledge and research results to MPSG’s farmer members.
- Develop pulse and soybean production decision support resources.
- Respond to grower and agronomist enquiries with decision support for soybean, edible bean, field pea, lentil and faba bean production.
- Assist with coordination and data collection for province-wide crop health surveys.
- Attend and conduct presentations at field days, conferences and trade shows.
- Promote MPSG’s programs among growers, agronomists, regulators and other stakeholders in the pulse and soybean industries.
- Assist in the planning, execution and interpretation of pulse and soybean variety evaluation trials.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, academia, other commodity organizations and industry.
- BSc in Agriculture; MSc in a crop production discipline preferred.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the prairie agricultural industry.
- Designation as a Professional Agrologist in Manitoba or qualifications to obtain within 2 years of commencing employment.
- Certified Crop Advisor designation or ability to obtain within 2 years of commencing employment.
- Exceptional ability to translate research results into extension messages.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook).
- Working knowledge of statistical principles and analytical methods.
- Project management experience (development, implementation and reporting).
- Strong understanding and familiarity of prairie crop production conditions and practices.
- Knowledge of agronomic research trial design and field operations.
- Self-starter; highly motivated.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and very strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working for a not-for-profit organization considered an asset.
- Valid Manitoba driver’s license.
This is a full-time position based in a home office in western Manitoba. Frequent travel throughout the region should be expected as well as periodic attendance at the MPSG office in Carman, MB. This position offers a competitive salary along with a benefits program.
Please email your resume and cover letter to:
Sandy Klassen – HR Consultant, MPSG
Application Deadline: December 28, 2018